LAFAYETTE DAY 2020!
- 10:00am – 10:30am: We will start with the Lafayette Day ceremony in the Rotunda of the Virginia State House (1000 Bank St, Richmond, VA 23219). We will conduct a wreath laying ceremony in front of Houdon’s Lafayette bust and Washington's statue in the Capitol Rotunda. This is a FREE EVENT.
- 10:30am – 11:45am: We will have a private tour of the Capitol Statehouse with renowned historian Mark Greenough (Capitol Historian and Tour Supervisor at the Virginia State Capitol). For those of you that have seen this tour before, we will mixing it up a bit this time. Mr. Greenough will be reciting John Marshall's welcome speech to Lafayette which took place at the Capitol on October 27, 1824. AFL member, French Lt. Col. Alain Abad give Lafayette's reply. This is a FREE EVENT. We will then walk over to….
- Noon to 1:00pm: We will have a group luncheon within walking distance of the statehouse (Meriwether's). This lunch was a HUGE hit last year as the chef flexed his culinary muscles with a delicious and authentic French three course meal ($20pp to be collected at the door...please bring cash if possible). We will then walk over to…
- 1:15pm – 2:45pm: We will have a private tour of The Valentine Museum. Founded by Mann Valentine 1898, it was the first museum in Richmond. Dedicated to collecting, preserving and interpreting Richmond's history, the Valentine will be pulling out several Lafayette-related items for the AFL to enjoy. This is a FREE EVENT.
- ...and since it's Saturday: Let's all go out for a cocktail !!! Maybe Dinner !!! We can be whimsical and enjoy Richmond together. Could be great fun !!!